Saturday, August 22, 2020

Schedules, Schedules, Schedules

Sometimes I think the word 'Schedule' should be a swear word for moms! The one upside to this pandemic upheaval is the quick reduction of things on our schedule! However, I needed to come up with a schedule for our home school preschool so I could better plan our lessons and activities. I know a lot of preschools start with 2 or 3 days a week for 3 year old students and they typically run about 2-3 hours per day. I thought about our normal week and what might work for us. 

How I miss Library story time!

I chose 3 days for approximately 2.5 hours per day. I chose 3 days because I felt that Owen can handle that and I like the idea of structure 3 mornings a week. You might be thinking that 2.5 hours, 3 days a week seems like a lot to plan! Let me break it down.

I broke each morning into 7 20 minute segments. They are:
  • Calendar/Welcome
  • Alphabet
  • Math
  • Science or Pre-writing
  • Motor Skills
  • Sensory Play
  • Art/Craft
The majority of these activities are self led by Owen and need minimal instruction from me at the beginning. Calendar and Art are the 2 segments I will need to teach/lead the most. Just like when I started a new school year with my Kindergartners I will need to teach how to do each type of activity and set expectations. The best part of home school is that I can adjust this schedule as I see fit based on how Owen (and myself) are handling things. 




No comments:

Post a Comment